Scholarships 2021 - Awards
The 2021 Applications were reviewed and scholarships awarded
for the 2021/22 academic year.
We are wishing all students many successes
in pursuing their educational dreams.
Because She Wanted to Make Impact...
The family of Monika Skrzypkowski wishes to honor their daughter, Monika, by presenting two $1,000.00 awards to a deserving students going on to a higher education.
This student must demonstrate the understanding that this award has been created because someone made the bad decision to drink and drive and take a life in doing so. This understanding must be part of their essay.
Monika was a sophomore at John Hersey High School and Emilia Plater Polish School. She was a member of “Polanie” Song & Dance Ensemble, “Male Wici” Dance Ensemble and a member of Polish National Alliance. She was a loving daughter, trust worthy friend and she believed in God. She had a lot of living to do. Sadly, a drunk driver took her life on December 6, 2008 in Prospect Heights, IL. She was 15 years old.
In Her memory we are proud to present:
1. MONIKA SKRZYPKOWSKI AWARENESS SCHOLARSHIP
Award of $1,000.00 to a John Hersey High School graduate.
2. MONIKA SKRZYPKOWSKI HERITAGE SCHOLARSHIP Award of $1,000.00 to a student of Polish decent of any high school and the student must be involved in Polish School or cultural activities of Polish artistic groups or other Polish educational entities which give back to the community and demonstrate the pride in Polish Heritage by their actions in those activities.
The requirements are as follows:
• The student must be attending a 4 year university, or a two year junior college, trade school or technology program, with the goal of obtaining a bachelor’s degree, associate’s degree, or certification. (Please include the name of the university, junior college, trade school or technical school/ program that you hope to be accepted to. If you have not decided yet, please include your possibilities.)
• The student should be a person who has made the choice to abstain from alcohol or drugs during their years at high school. They must show that good judgment during these difficult times has its reward. The student should be a role model who can show others that they believe in living life to the fullest without the aid of alcohol or drugs.
• The student must submit a written essay stating why he/she feels he/she would be the best candidate for the award including answering and taking into account the following:
1. Alcohol use today is prevalent on high school / college campuses. You will be faced with many decisions and challenges in your higher education. By accepting this award in good faith, you make a commitment to yourself to be responsible to yourself and to the community. Please tell us how you might do this.
2. This student must demonstrate the understanding that this award has been created because someone made the bad decision to drink and drive and take a life in doing so. This understanding must be part of their essay.
3. Please explain how being a participant in extracurricular activities (if any) has affected your life and your future plans (AWARENESS SCHOLARSHIP ONLY).
4. Please explain how being a participant in Polish School or other activities you took part in as a person of Polish heritage had shaped you into a person you are today and how your heritage has impacted your life (HERITAGE SCHOLARSHIP ONLY).
The $1,000.00 Scholarship Award will be paid directly to the university. One payment for $500.00 will be paid in the first semester and the second installment for $500.00 will be paid the second semester during the same school year.